PS 17 Happenings!
READ ALL ABOUT PS 17!!
We are very proud to announce our monthly newsletter, PS 17 Times. This is a newsletter created by students, focusing on important school and world. events. Our first edition will highlight fall events, including school elections, class happenings. Our student reporters have found out some interesting facts about our new teachers. Please check back to stay updated about our PS 17 Happenings!
It seems impossible that we are now in the final calendar month of the year: December. Please take note of the following important information and events:
An afterschool program sponsored by St. Nick's Alliance is expected to get underway beginning in January. Information about the program and registration procedures will be sent home by St. Nick's. This is a NY State funded program run by St. Nick's. PS 17 houses the program but we are not involved in the student selection process; also
- Students in Grades Pre-K, K, and 1 will be viewing live animals from the Queens County Farms at PS 17 on December 4th;
- December 6th is a non-attendance day for our Pre-K classes;
- December 8th the PTA is sponsoring a "Dinner With Santa" night from 5:30-8:30 PM;
- December 11th is Pre-K vision screening day;
- December 13th is the next PTA meeting;
- December 14th is "Movie Day" as our students attend "Coco" (grades PreK-4) and "Wonders" (Grade 5) at the local movie theater. More information to follow;
- December 20th is a craft holiday workshop at 9:00 am;
- December 21st is our holiday show at 8:45 am in the auditorium. All parents are invited to attend;
- December 22nd is a regular full day with dismissal at 2:20 pm;
- School resumes on Tuesday, January 2nd;
- Please check your child's class link for exciting news about curriculum and class trip information;
- I remind you to make every effort to please make sure that your child arrives ON TIME for 8:00 am each morning. It is so important that the children are here and go to their classroom together with their teacher and classmates. Also, I ask that you please make sure and check your child's homework for completeness each night before signing the homework planner. This is important in monitoring your child's progress during the year. I look forward to your ongoing support and participation in the life of our school. Thank you for all that you do and for your attention in these matters. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact myself or the parent coordinator, Nancy DeName.
Dr. Robert A. Marchi - Principal
Department of Education Quick Links
International Night, Friday November 17, 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Families, please join us for an evening of mouth-watering fun! Everyone is asked to bring a family-favorite dish, to share your culture with families.
Ms. Nancy DeName
Cell Phone: 646-793-0242
We are happy to announce our Scholastic Book Fair! Students will visit the Fair with their classes, and have an opportunity to purchase books then. Parents can visit the Book Fair during Parent Teacher Conferences, or visit the website, Scholastic Bookfairs, and follow the link to PS 17. this is a great opportunity for us to support classroom libraries. Please check with your child for details.
Welcome to our PTA News!
Beginning in October, the PTA will sell healthy snacks during lunch on Fridays.
Pens, Pencils and trinkets will also be available.
We are a thriving elementary school that believes every child deserves to learn and be inspired in a safe, nurturing environment. Students, parents and faculty are all encouraged to be enthusiastic, independent lifelong learners. We are proud of our diverse population, and strive to help all students succeed in following our standards-based curriculum. An established atmosphere of mutual respect and cooperation builds students' confidence and leads to individual growth