It is hard to believe that the month of January is rapidly coming to an end. I wish to update you on some important happenings at PS 17:
- All students have worked on projects and activities relating to the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. His "I Have a Dream" speech has been watched and discussed by everyone. Each class made several decorative ornaments depicting symbols of peace that adorn our Holiday Spirit Tree and the lobby of our entrance area.
- We will be shifting our focus in February to the 2016 presidential elections as voting begins to take place in Iowa and New Hampshire. We will be emphasizing candidate speaking skills, polls, and map skills as we explore the geography of our 50 states.
We will also have a number of cultural programs starting in February, including:
- Williamsburg Movement and Arts Center (WMAAC) dance programs for all grades. This is a once a week for 4 weeks program teaching various dance forms to every class in our school. Pre-K through Grade 2 will take place in late February and into March. Grades 3-5 will take place in May following the completion of New York State ELA and Math assessments.
- Learning Through and Expanded Arts Program (LeAP) will be doing a music-related program for our Grade 4 & 5 students.
- Our school received a COSA grant through the efforts of Councilman Antonio Reynoso. The Brooklyn Arts Council supplies a resident artist to be paired with a PS 17 staff member to provide a visual arts (Grades 1 & 2) and a performing arts (Grades 3 & 4) after-school cultural opportunity. Grades 1 & 2 meet on Wednesdays with Ms. Eberhardt and Grades 3 & 4 meet on Thursdays with Ms. Fox. Classes are from 2:45-4:45 pm.
Please remember that the 2nd trimester ends on February 12th. Report cards will be distributed during afternoon and evening parent-teacher conference sessions on Thursday, March 3rd.
Thank you for your continued support of our efforts to bring your child the best educational experiences possible.
Dr. Robert A. Marchi