Find Out What's Happening...
EXTRA, EXTRA!! READ ALL ABOUT PS 17!!
We are very proud to announce our monthly newsletter, PS 17 Times. This is a newsletter created by students, focusing on important school and world. events. Please follow the below and enjoy!
As we begin the exciting and beautiful month of October, please note the following important information and events:
An afterschool program sponsored by St. Nick's Alliance will get underway this month. Information about the program and registration procedures will be sent home by St. Nick's. This is a NY State funded program run by St. Nick's. PS 17 houses the program but we are not involved in the student selection process; also
- We shall focus as a school on voting and the New York City elections for Mayor and City Council during October/November. Student elections in Grades 4 & 5 will take place as part of this process;
- Our afterschool library program will begin the week of October 16th for students in Grades 4 & 5. Ms. Lange is in charge of this program and information will be going home shortly;
- PS 17 will be hosting 3 "JAZZ IN SCHOOLS" concerts for the children this year. The first one is on Friday, October 27th at 9:00 am in the auditorium and celebrates Jazz and Democracy;
- The annual Halloween Parade will take place on October 31st at 1:00 pm; This is for students in Grades PreK-2. All parents are welcome to observe the parade around the block and root on the children in their festive costumes;
- School is closed for Columbus Day on October 9th;
- There will be an important PTA meeting on October 18th at 8:30 am to discuss our Title I status, gym uniforms, afterschool programs, etc. Please make every effort to attend and help out our PTA this year;
- Picture Day is Tuesday, October 24th - more information to follow;
- Full school uniforms are required every day commencing Monday, October 2nd. Detentions will be issued for those not in compliance;
- I remind you to make every effort to please make sure that your child arrives ON TIME for 8:00 am each morning. It is so important that the children are here and go to their classroom together with their teacher and classmates. Also, I ask that you please make sure and check your child's homework for completeness each night before signing the homework planner. This is important in monitoring your child's progress during the year. I look forward to your ongoing support and participation in the life of our school. Thank you for all that you do and for your attention in these matters. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact myself or the parent coordinator, Nancy DeName.
Dr. Robert A. Marchi - Principal
Department of Education Quick Links
Dear Parents! We have great news! New York City Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina
is coming to District 14 for a Town Hall Meeting. The Chancellor will discuss issues
that are important to District 14. We hope you can attend. The meeting is 6:30,Tuesday, December 6th,
at IS 71. Please follow the link below for more details.
Ms. Nancy DeName
Cell Phone: 646-793-0242
Welcome to our PTA News!
Beginning on Friday, October 14, the PTA will sell healthy snacks during lunch.
Pens, Pencils and trinkets will also be available.
Year End Celebrations!
June is a very exciting month at PS 17! From our Pre-K Stepping Up Celebration to the Fifth Grade Dance, there are many memorable occasions. Please keep your eye on this site for the Calendar of Events and details. Thank you!