Find Out What's Happening...
EXTRA, EXTRA!! READ ALL ABOUT PS 17!!
We are very proud to announce our monthly newsletter, PS 17 Times. This is a newsletter created by students, focusing on important school and world. events. Please follow the below and enjoy!
As we begin a new school year, please note the following important information and events:
- School opens on Thursday, September 7th, for all students PreK-5;
- PreK will be conducted in 2 sessions on September 7 and 8. Session 1 is 8:30-10:00 am and Session 2 is 10:30-12:00 pm. Parent coordinator Nancy DeName will contact all PreK parents to inform them as to which session their child is assigned to. PreK will have regular, full days beginning Monday, September 11th;
- Kindergarten will have an 8:00-11:45 am half day on September 7th. Full days will begin on Friday, September 8th;
- Supplies and special notices will be distributed on the first day of classes to all students;
- There is a special "Meet & Greet" session scheduled for Wednesday, September 13th, from 4:30-7:30 pm so that parents may meet their child's teachers and find out how the school year will proceed. We have 5 new teachers on the PS 17 staff to introduce. In addition, several new afterschool program initiatives will be explained during this time block. Please review the orange parent flyer sent home on the first day of school with your child;
- Please complete the 2 blue cards sent home on day #1 and return them the next day. This information is vital in order to protect your child in the event of any emergencies;
- Full school uniforms are required beginning the first day of school, September 7th.
- I remind you to make every effort to please make sure that your child arrives ON TIME for 8:00 am each morning. It is so important that the children are here and go to their classroom together with their teacher and classmates. Also, I ask that you please make sure and check your child's homework for completeness each night before signing the homework planner. This is important in monitoring your child's progress during the year. I look forward to your ongoing support and participation in the life of our school. Thank you for all that you do and for your attention in these matters. I am eagerly looking forward to beginning my 17th year as principal of PS 17. I believe this is going to be a wonderful and rewarding year for all of us. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact myself or the parent coordinator, Nancy DeName.
Dr. Robert A. Marchi - Principal
Department of Education Quick Links
Dear Parents! We have great news! New York City Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina
is coming to District 14 for a Town Hall Meeting. The Chancellor will discuss issues
that are important to District 14. We hope you can attend. The meeting is 6:30,Tuesday, December 6th,
at IS 71. Please follow the link below for more details.
Ms. Nancy DeName
Cell Phone: 646-793-0242
Welcome to our PTA News!
Beginning on Friday, October 14, the PTA will sell healthy snacks during lunch.
Pens, Pencils and trinkets will also be available.
Year End Celebrations!
June is a very exciting month at PS 17! From our Pre-K Stepping Up Celebration to the Fifth Grade Dance, there are many memorable occasions. Please keep your eye on this site for the Calendar of Events and details. Thank you!